Monday, January 16, 2012

The Female Brain

When  I finished The Female Brain, I wasn't quite sure what to think of it. Throughout the book Brizendine argued that things girls do can be explained by chemical activity in the brain. It is an interesting argument because most people like to think that they control their own actions and this book argues that some things girls do isn't by choice; it is controlled by the chemicals in their brain. Brizendine support her argument with patient stories, personal experience, scientific experiments, and scientific explanation. Her patient stories help explain and illustrate what the chemicals are doing and help make the book less academic. But even so, a lot of the book is discussing specific chemicals and what they do to the brain, making it boring at times.

The thing that made the book most enjoyable to me is that, being a girl, I could relate to some of the things Brizendine talked about. It was interesting to hear that some of the things I do can be explained by chemicals in my brain. But Brizendine began to lose my interest when she began talking about "The Mommy Brain" and "The Menopausal Brain," stages I have yet to go through. Though I think Brizendine has good information she losses interest in readers who can't personally relate to what she is talking about.

Overall, I thought the book was alright; if I was to give it a rating out of 5, it would receive a 2.5.

I don't think the book is for everyone but I do think some people might enjoy it. I would recommend it to older women, who can relate to most of the book. I would also suggest that men don't read it, I can't imagine they would enjoy it... The biggest draw back of the book is the audience is so limited, since, I think, to find it interesting, you need to be able to relate to what is being talked about, and only half of the world is able to...

No comments:

Post a Comment